Meeting 2014-02-21

From sh-hackspace
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Location, Date & Time

Please double check these details before attending, in case they change!

We would like to start raising funds for the hackspace, if you are able we would kindly appreciate any "on the door" donations. (suggested minimum is £3 but this is voluntary!!)

Meeting

Attendees

Marc (director), Alan (director), Robin, FC, Bart, Dino, Chris, Malcolm, Claire, Julian, Paul, Duncan

Apologies for not being available

Mark, Albert, Dan, Martin

Minutes

We started on time !! Decided once a month meeting for what we are doing, what we have done.

  • Bank account - current progress on getting one/timescale?
    • Marc and Al will work on it and aim for the next month.
  • What funds do we currently have?
    • will count after the meeting, Malcolm has £500~ from tvrrug - FC, Robin, Dino and Chris
  • How to keep track of our funds so we can see progress made.
    • Funds will be counted monthly at the meeting.
    • There is a google docs spreadsheet Alan made previously with our funds on, he will find this and add in our current funds and then we can put on the mailing list monthly how much we have until we have a bank account.
  • What are the funds for? Entirely for getting a space or can any be used for equipment or project funding
    • ATM we decided all the money raised is for space deposit and funding actually getting a space
  • Should we be appointing people to lead and coordinate specific roles? (e.g. treasurer, p.r., group projects)
    • Treasurer - once we get a bank account. Other roles keep ad-hoc.
    • Formalise on wiki who runs what and has access to what(twitter, blog, website, etc)
  • Getting a space;
    • What are our calculations for estimated costs etc and are they realistic?
    • What is the estimated initial outlay to get a space (i.e. our target)
    • What is the number of paying members to support a space (our target members)
      • We will look at Farnham 12 riverside way calcs sheet and come up with a definitive aims derived from said sheet, then we can make a page on the website stating our aims (e.g. we require £X to get a space and X members).
    • How many people do we currently have who would willingly become a fully paying member when we have a space.
      • Put out a survey on on mailing list, this is just to currently gauge interest.
  • If we had a paid membership scheme whilst at Games Galaxy what advantages do paying members get over non paying.
    • Cannot think of anything.
  • Should we use Southampton's members area site?
    • Ask Takumo to investigate and if possible set up an instance somewhere so we can look at it. Marc offered to help as well
  • Discourse / Mailing List use instead of google groups - Takumo
    • Stay with the mailing for now - it works, is simple to use and we aren't driving lots of content that needs to be split it up.
  • Any other business
    • Accounts needs filing soon.
      • we will investigate the exact date to get this going ASAP, possibly see if the is anyone who has experience and can help (Possibly ChrisJRob)?
    • Blog usability - there has been some problems with the blog usability. Also the contact email address needs addressing so we ensure we reply to all enquiries.
      • Julian will investigate any way to improve this.
    • Tidy shelves in hackspace
      • Robin will decide on a Sunday afternoon soon and get a few people down to sort it all out.
    • Paul noted not many people knew about the facebook group. Can we try and promote it a bit more; share links, put a "like" button on the blog, etc.
    • Next meeting date
      • 21st March (1 months time)

Actions to be taken

  • Marc and Alan to progress getting a bank account
  • Julian will investigate improving blog use, also the email contact address - change a SSH email address.
  • Robin will decide and announce a Sunday afternoon in the coming weeks to clear out the shelves
  • Takumo / Marc to investigate the members area site
  • Marc/Alan/Robin investigate accounts due date and ask members if someone has experience and can help
  • Robin / Dino to count current donations, then give to Alan so he can add previously held funds and announce how much we have
  • Key thing is getting members we need to keep having fun, hacking and keep up the word of mouth, blogging etc, so as many people as possible learn about what a cool group we are.
  • 21st March - Next meeting
  • Unassigned actions to be taken
    • Put out a survey on on mailing list, asking how many people would intend to become a fully paying member if we have a space.
    • We will look at Farnham 12 riverside way calcs sheet (Alan and a few others put in a lot of effort a while back making costings spreadsheet to understand what our costs would be, they are link in our wiki somewhere (under space search?)) and come up with a definitive aims derived from said sheet, then we can make a page on the website stating our aims (e.g. we require £X to get a space and X members).
    • Someone to create a page on the wiki which lists who controls and who has access to all the different accounts (server, twitter, g+, etc....)

Agenda

Please add your agenda items below (enter three tildes to sign your name):

The following should be limited to approx 60 minutes

  • Bank account - current progress on getting one/timescale?
  • What funds do we currently have?
  • How to keep track of our funds so we can see progress made.
  • What are the funds for? Entirely for getting a space or can any be used for equipment or project funding
  • Should we be appointing people to lead and coordinate specific roles? (e.g. treasurer, p.r., group projects)
  • Getting a space;
    • What are our calculations for estimated costs etc and are they realistic?
    • What is the estimated initial outlay to get a space (i.e. our target)
    • What is the number of paying members to support a space (our target members)
    • How many people do we currently have who would willingly become a fully paying member when we have a space.
  • If we had a paid membership scheme whilst at Games Galaxy what advantages do paying members get over non paying.
  • Should we use Southampton's members area site?
  • Discourse / Mailing List use instead of google groups - Takumo
  • Any other business

Hacking and projects time!!

Please feel free to suggest ideas for here, and bring along projects and bits and pieces to show and tell :)

Personal tools